Friday, October 3, 2008

How Long vs. What For?

This morning I was flipping through the channels and happened upon some religious programming. I am a little leery about watching programs when I haven't thoroughly researched their beliefs and made sure that they line up with the Bible. However this morning I was compelled to watch.
The woman was talking about struggles and waiting on the Lord. She talked about how we often get caught up in the when. We beg the Lord to hurry and to do things on our timeline. We wonder what we are doing wrong (at this point, I knew she (OK God) was speaking to me). She quoted several verses about the Lord's faithfulness, His love for us and His perfect timing. I know all of these things and most days I KNOW and FEEL them in my heart.
But then she said something a little different. She said that instead of asking God - How Long, we should be asking What for. It's true through trials and waits, there is always something that the Lord wants us to do. So beginning today I am going to ask Him...what am I supposed to be using this wait for? What is it that he wants me to learn? Who does he want me to pray for? What areas of my life does he want me to become more disciplined in?
It's funny, several years ago, I came to the realization that I didn't want to squander my singleness by putting my life on hold until I got married. When I dedicated my extra time to service for Him, He put everything in perspective. This actually came about by seeing someone else live life in a way I found sad. I have an acquaintance who actually keeps a file folder full of the dreams she has for her wedding day...I am not opposed to dreaming or even pre-planning...but this woman has put her whole life on hold until she meets THE ONE. The sad thing is that she has been doing this since her mid-twenties and now she is three years away from 40. That's almost 15 years of her life lived in a holding pattern. I am saddened by that because I am sure there was some amazing things God wanted to do for her in this time, but she didn't let him.
But when I heard the speaker this morning I realized that I am missing that same opportunity. So beginning today, Lord here's a new prayer. It's no longer "How long until I get my referral," but instead "What do you have to teach me through this wait? I am FINALLY ready to learn it!"

1 comment:

Aimee said...

You could get your passport while you wait. :)