I may be biased, but I am going to give Jacinda the "Gold Star Award" for all of her academic achievements in the last six weeks!
My girl is ROCKING the vocabulary! Before her arrival I did some research and decided that the Smart Talk System would be a great way to get her started and my co-workers were generous enough to surprise me with one. Jacinda uses it almost everyday.
If you aren't familiar with Smart Talk, here's a description of the system.
This smart and affordable English Language Acquisition Program uses crystal-clear audio, flashing lights, and fun sounds to guide English Language Learners. Students SEE a photograph, HEAR the word, and the REPEAT it, practicing their pronunciation until they've added the word to their spoken English vocabulary. Students then hear the word in context and are asked questions about the target word. By emulating Smart Talk's speech, students learn to use standard English grammar patterns in sentences and questions. By answering simple questions, students reinforce their ability to construct sentences with the new vocabulary and hone their listening comprehension skills.
Through it she quickly learned words like paper towels, salt and pepper and other household items. I got the Home and Family card set before she came and just ordered the School and Community set yesterday!
Jacinda has mastered the skills of picking out what object is different and rhyming. She can sort, do mazes and work my computer like a pro! She is a skilled mathematician with her addition and subtraction skills!
And two weeks ago, my girl started reading! Yep, we're doing sight words! So far she has mastered: a, and, in, the, to, green, red, three, ten, is, it, of, that, you, blue, yellow, six, nine, look, play, fun & run.
I am so proud of her. She constantly amazes me! This weekend I could tell how excited she was with what she has learned since she was pointing out these words on some posters in the church Sunday School room. She also likes to quiz me and is quick to scold when I get a word or two "intentionally" wrong.
Again I may be biased, but I think my girl is brilliant!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree. You go Jaci cakes!
Post a Comment