Originally began on Sept. 23
OK I have to admit that this one makes me laugh out loud...and reminds me that no matter how old I get, I should listen to my mom!
Throughout the past 16 months I have often struggled to find a discipline technique that was effective for Jacinda. I have tried taking privileges away, adding punishments, verbal warnings, etc. And these have all worked for a while...and then they lose their ooph!
It was very frustrating for me to want to use this as a deterrent or teaching tool and realize Jacinda was not at all phased.
I had countless conversations with my mom about this very subject and then one day mom suggested that I hit my fashionista where it hurts and make her wear her outfit two days in a row.
For a child that adores being stylish and constantly complimented on her clothing, Jacinda was completely appalled when I described that was going to happen the next time she had a serious behavior issue.
So, a few days later when Jacinda had a behavior episode that left me aghast and at a loss, I suddenly remembered what my mom had suggested. I calmly and almost sweetly explained to Jacinda that her behavior was inappropriate, that she had not heeded my warnings on multiple occasions, so as a result she was going to be wearing the same outfit to third grade the next day.
She was appalled! But she got it.
Her head was hanging low the next morning as she traipsed into the third grade. That night she was apologetic and made a promise not to let it happen again.
P.S. More than a month later and yep, it's still working. EUREKA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment