Wednesday, April 30, 2008

24 Hours & Counting!!!

And thus begins the countdown for my social worker's visit. Tomorrow morning at this time we will be in mid-home visit. So today I am rushing around making sure the house is clean, but not too clean. (I got this from an actual web site that says social workers would worry if the house was too neat, because they would be concerned that the owner wouldn't be able to handle a child's clutter.) Talk about a delicate balance. LOL!!!
I keep looking at Jacinda's room and thinking...have I removed enough stuff to make it look like I am getting ready for her, but not too much stuff so it looks like I am too eager for her arrival... You see her room for the past year and a half has served as a dressing area for me and a storage room for some of my totes. It also is the catch all room when I am having folks over. But this morning I took all of the totes that aren't VBS or Jacinda-related to the storage unit. Out of sight, out of mind.
Actually everything I have read states that most social workers only look around the last five or 10 minutes of the visit and adoptive parents seem disappointed they spent so much time cleaning. So my approach is pretty simple. I am going to clean and straighten like I was having a party with my girlfriends. I think a little clutter is good for the soul because it keeps you grounded.
So with that being said I am off to...do some laundry, dust the living room, buy fresh flowers, vacum and shine up the bathrooms. Then I will tackle the kitchen, take a deep breath and relax!
For some reason deep in my heart, I know this is all going to go JUST FINE!

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Your joint passed the "Brynly Test," so I am sure you will get an enthusiastic thumbs up from the SW man.

Kim said...

I'll be thinking of you!! It will go fine I'm sure.

vee said...

Dian,
I am so happy for you. I'll bet your heart is fluttering more than your blog. Love the butterflies. Hope you get pictures and sizes before our shopping expedition the end of June. Remember crowding around the laptop in the kitchen of the condo the night before we were heading to the outlets, and getting Brynly's height and weight and trying to put it into pounds and inches.
Seriously, you will be a great mommy. Hope everything goes really fast. Take care.
Vee

My name is Stacie... said...

Our social worker pretty much checked for "death traps" and standing water. Go figure. I'm sure you and your home will do great!

Monica said...

I am certain things went without a hitch. I am so excited for you. This Mother's Day, we will celebrate as Mothers together because your little girl is out there waiting for you. Now the hard part begins, the waiting. I'm always here for you.