Monday, July 7, 2008

Be anxious for nothing

Philippians 4:6 is one of those verses that really gets to me or should I say really gets to my heart because I think it is a wonderful verse that speaks to how we should live our lives.
Anxious is defined as: full of mental distress or uneasiness because of fear of danger or misfortune; greatly worried.
Doesn't sound like a great way to be, now does it? However recently I have found myself anxious about a lot of things...my job, my adoption, whether or not I should relocate to be closer to family and the Cosmic City VBS that I am directing at church next week. Sleep was not easy to come by and I was so emotional that even the bad commercials made me weep.
Unfortunately there were times when someone would ask me how I was doing and I would reply "barely hanging on."
Then during last night's sermon...something snapped. I was looking at my situations all wrong. The Lord has been trying to get my attention for a while now, but I was too busy being anxious to accept what He was offering. Last night the sermon included verses about living as we should...knowing that we are not be anxious and that God has provided perfect peace that passeth all understanding. And yet instead of walking in this path, I have been consumed with worry and mental distress. And the Lord made sure I didn't miss the point by having the pastor come up to ask me a couple of VBS questions. After our short conversation, he leaned back and said..."You have too much going on right now to be anxious about anything." And with that I knew the Lord had made sure I heard his voice loud and clear.
So today, I walked in peace. And throughout the day wonderful things began to happen...I was cool, calm and collected at work, I didn't fixate on getting a referral, I talked to a VP corporate and know that there is not room for me in WV at this time and won't be until around the time my lease is up next year and I finally got excited about VBS and the creative juices started flowing.
And now as the day is ending I am signing off for a peaceful night of rest.

No comments: