When we were younger we tried to make NYE an exciting event. We don't drink, so there was never any of that. We tried having other people over, but somehow they just didn't mesh with our NYE style. We tried attending the community's First Night celebration (the first and only year they ever had it), but we were frozen solid by the time 8 p.m. rolled around and we headed back to my apartment. We tried attending a Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre event, but were split up as we arrived. So I fained sickness and we left before dessert was served. We even tried traveling. We once spent it in Bethlehem PA with plans to head into New York for New Year's Day, but the weather was so awful we spent the evening in our hotel room and headed back to my apartment the next morning. After all of these attempts to make it special, we resigned ourselves to no hoopla. Usually dinner out, followed by watching a movie or playing a game until the clock struck midnight and have loved New Year's since.
When I moved closer and we added a couple more children to the equation this year, we considered not carrying on the holiday tradition, but I am so very glad that we did. Ringing in 2010 was probably our most low key year...I made frozen pizzas, provided party hats for the girls, we watched High School Musical, played the Wii and the kids were in bed by 9:30. Aimee and I watched a true crime documentary (which my brother thought was truly disturbing), at 11:54 p.m. we turned the TV to see the ball drop, made fun of some of the songs and performances and went to bed.
It was truly a great New Year!
1 comment:
Definately a winner. :)
Post a Comment