Thursday, January 7, 2010

MELKAM GENA, BIZUNESH!


Dearest Daughter,
Today is Christmas in Ethiopia. And yet when you woke up, your most exciting moment of the morning came when you discovered the tooth fairy did indeed leave you $5 for your second tooth lost in America.
How life has changed for you, chicken. When I explained to you that we were going to have a Gena celebration, you looked at me and told said, "I don't know Gena." In a moment I was saddened and alarmed.
From the beginning it seemed that you have separated yourself from Ethiopia. You seem surprised to hear me say that I love Ethiopia...how could I not?? She gave me you! The first time I took you to an Ethiopian restaurant just mere weeks after you came to America and the owner spoke to you in Amharic, you turned your head and pretended not to understand him. So much of your life in Ethiopia is a mystery to me. I long for you to share and to talk about those times, so your history is never lost in the sea of memories of youth. But you seem to have locked those memories and experiences away.
When you saw B & B's hair braided last weekend, you whispered to me adamantly and again almost pleading..."I don't want braids. I don't want braids." And darling girl, that is up to you. But I want you to know it is OK to love your first home, your first family and your first memories. Hold on to them, cherish them, they are yours and I want you to be proud of them.
Our friend, Emebet said so many children completely turn their backs on Ethiopia when they arrive in the US. I don't want you to have negative feelings about your life before me. That is not necessary for me to be your mommy.
I will NEVER stop trying to get you to be proud of your heritage as I have done since your arrival. And finally after seven months I am starting to see glimmers and flashes of changes coming and it thrills my soul!
I know you will be proud to present your teacher the pendant we bought before we left Ethiopia as her Christmas present and how appropriate is it that you were able to give it to her on Gena? A fact I didn't even remember until I started writing this post!
When you asked me on Saturday after Emebet was talking to you if I was mad that you didn't know any Amharic anymore, it almost made me cry. It was my pleasure to pull out my little cheat sheet and remind you of the alphabet and convince you that YOU STILL REMEMBER and that is OK TO REMEMBER Amharic! And how it thrills my soul that you want to review our little book every night before bed!
I love how interested you were when I pulled out the nativity scene I bought for us in Addis when I started decorating for Christmas last month. I know getting it out and setting it up each year will be a very special time for both of us!
Bizunesh, it's true that your name has changed, but you did not lose who you were or are, we simply added to it! And so today on your first Gena in America, I want you to know that I pledge to always do everything within my power to keep Ethiopia alive in you!


2 comments:

Aimee said...

They will remember. They will know loving one doesn't mean denying the other. They both remember more than they may yet be willing to share. Emebet told me it is the parents that carry the burden for bringing the two together. We are up to the challenge my friend. Melkam Genna, Bizunesh and Betay(and Birhan of course too) :)

katho said...

di, that is just beautiful. the love you have for your daughter is leaping from the screen. she is so blessed to have you as her mommy <3