Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial Day 2010


My hometown celebrates Memorial Day in a big way. Within our town we have two National Cemeteries. Each year the city has a parade and in addition to floats, bands and politicians, we have a tradition where the school children march in the parade carrying an American flag and a bouquet of flowers that are then taken to the cemetery and placed on a soldier's grave.

I made an appearance in the parade all 12 years of my schooling and even won an essay contest for the parade my senior year. (I still have the savings bond prize!)

Last year Jacinda and I went to the parade. She had been in America for a total of two days. I was a little leery about taking her to the parade, but she LOVED it. Well with our relocation to my hometown...Jacinda was a willing participant in the parade.

Throughout the week I tried to explain the significance of the parade and while I am not sure she completely "gets it" yet, I know someday she will.

And I have to say I was one proud momma watching her continue the tradition...


No comments: