Sunday, November 14, 2010

Another anniversary


Two years ago, I was sitting in a brainstorming meeting at work when an e-mail from my agency rep popped up on the screen. It was THE E-MAIL...finally! I had heard snippets about a rumored 5-year-old, but finally it was official.
Due to some computer glitches on my agency's part, a picture wasn't attached and I had to frantically go searching through the on-line repository of some recent traveler's photos. But then I saw her.
I so vividly remember staring at this photo for hours...I remember those first moments that were so scary for me...moments of waiting to say yes. Moments of asking this little face thousands of miles away if she was indeed MY daughter. And then the equally breathtaking moment, when I sent the e-mail that simply said: "I say yes. What are my next steps?"

I've never really spent a lot of time looking at that referral photo since Jacinda came home...but I have spent some time doing just that in the last day or so and it is amazing to me. This photo is definitely Bizunesh...she was described in every e-mail and from everyone who ever met her before I did as "shy, quiet, reserved." Looking at this photo...I see that. But there is a glimmer in those eyes that I watched come alive in every photo and one that I am greeted with every morning.

I am so eternally grateful for Nov. 14, 2008 - that day was the first of many that changed EVERYTHING for me!

No comments: