Friday, May 2, 2008

Never Alone...

At the beginning of the adoption process, several people talked about how scary this journey would be to go alone, but I pooh-poohed the idea because I have never been someone who felt lonely and my experience with adoption hasn't been any different.

I mean I have a truly wonderful best friend, who has blazed the trail before me. Aimee has been my constant guide, confidant, cheerleader and coach. {Also my future travel buddy} This has truly deepened our friendship and I completely trust her, which is an amazing thing to be able to say about a friend.

My dear friend, Angie, took a day off from work, drove me around to three separate cities the day I had my fingerprints done. She can't wait to be a God mother and has been planning for this since the Lord gave her a dream about me becoming a mother last year. Now that is FAITH!

Then there are The Gazette gals: My friend Nikki was here to answer the social worker's questions like a pro, yesterday...even when she wasn't sure she got the answers right. She came early and reassured me. As a single mom and a HUGE success story, she is pure inspiration. Today I had lunch with Sherry and she gave me the best birthday present ever: A memory book for adoptive families called: My Family, My Journey. I didn't even make it out of the parking garage without opening it. She brought me to tears with the gift and she warmed my heart with all of her interest. Vivian has sent several e-mails filled with soft-spoken, gentle encouragement like only she could. In my heart I believe Viv has been one of the best cheerleaders in my life's path. And finally Chris, who loves me like an older sister and treats me just the same. She keeps me in check and has a very special way about her.

And anyone who knows me, knows I would be nothing without my family! My MOM is my best friend and my rock. Enough said about that. My DADhas come around to the idea by making plans only a Pap would... think college funds and savings bonds. My brother, Doug, and sister-in-law, Erin, provide inspiration every time I talk to them. My cousins Monica, Kim and Amanda have stood behind me in the decision from the moment I spoke the words adoption out loud. And for that, I will be eternally grateful.

My kids at church ask me each week when my little girl is coming home. They beg for a picture and compare stories of what they are going to do with her when she arrives. The way they fight about whose house my daughter will spend the night at first and who will get to sit beside her in children's church just brings a smile to my heart.The teens are learning Amharic words and enjoy adding to their repertoire each week. So far cat {demmit - I'm not sure of this spelling because my book is out in the car} and dog {woosha} are fan faves! They debate whether Rae or Hope is a better middle name and try to lobby for their own names to make it on the list. It is hysterical!

Then there is Chad. If we were still in elementary school, he would the one kid the teacher would separate me from. I mean sometimes all I have to do is look at him or hear his voice and he can make me laugh so hard that I snort. And everyone needs a good belly laugh! And to his credit, he sat patiently in the living room and looked through every item I have purchased for my daughter, now that is a good friend!

And of course, I wouldn't have even begun this journey without knowing that the Lord had placed this seed in my heart at a very young age. He arranged for everything to work out and bring me to a point in my life where I knew it was time. His hand has been on everything surrounding this adoption and my heart is so content and at peace, knowing He has already picked out my daughter. He knows her name and he is arranging things, so our lives will intersect soon.

So with a team assembled like the one mentioned above, how could I feel alone. Plus, I haven't even mentioned the friends I count as my secret weapons. LOL!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I am so happy that I can travel this path with my very best friend. Our daughters will never have to look far for a family that looks just like theirs.
Selam (Peace)

Amanda said...

Diann,

You are such a special person to us. You have supported us through some tough times. We can't wait to support you in any way that we can now and once your daughter arrives.

Love,
Paul & Amanda

Unknown said...

I'm really torn, Diann. When I read this post I started to cry (as you would expect). But then I got this image of me as a cheerleader ~ What a riot! I'd be as good a cheerleader as I was a country singer in your dream :-)

You make me laugh. Always have. I love you for that.