Monday, November 10, 2008

Checking in

It has been a while! Things have been very busy. My niece made it through her surgery like a champ and now has a beautiful new palate. She is almost saying Da-Da and for my brother who has waited 19 months to hear that, it is a wonderful thing. I am excited too, because I don't think Aunt Di-Di will be far behind in her vocabulary.

This past weekend I traveled with my family to Canaan Valley, a ski resort, in West Virginia. For the past five years the women of my family meet there for a long weekend. It is a wonderful time of really getting to know one another beyond Thanksgiving dinner conversations and Christmas letters. We had 11 of us there this weekend including aunts, sisters, cousins, etc. I really do feel blessed to have the opportunity to look beyond myself and feel connected to these wonderful women. As you can imagine, there are some bumps along the way and it is sometimes hard to be accepting of others' quirks, as I am sure it is hard to accept some of mine. But the times we spend together is priceless. I couldn't help think that this time next year, the fabric of our family will be forever changed with the arrival of my daughter. I am so excited at the prospect and in awe of what a difference a year makes.

Last year I announced my plans to adopt at this very event. I spoke of doing it someday...meaning in a year or two. But once I uttered the words aloud, it was as if a fire was lit inside of me and I wanted to stop thinking and dreaming about it and to do it.

A year has passed and I am just waiting for a referral, which could come at any time. I am praying for one before Thanksgiving so I can have one more blessing to add to the list of all I have to be grateful for!

2 comments:

Bennett said...

Happy to hear you had a wonderful time w/family.

Girl don't you worry your referral is right around the corner

Celeste

Anonymous said...

Diann,
Wouldn't it be something if you receive your referral on November 19th - Brynly's Gotcha Day!!! I know this waiting is tough.
So glad Leah is doing so well. You all are in our prayers.
Take Care,
Vee