Recently I have been struggling with two new addictions. I am not proud of it, but the truth must be told.
My first addiction is in the form of Facebook. WOW! This may be the biggest of all timewasters of all time. A title previously held by my ex-boyfriend.
A few weeks ago, I noticed that my friend Aimee was developing a strange habit. Almost every night on the phone she would mumble "So and So wants to be my friend." or announce "Yes, I will be your friend." I would of course ask her what she was doing and she would then explain that it was all related to Facebook. At first I dismissed the idea thinking that I am too old for Facebook...that was my canned response for people asking why I didn't have a My Space page. But then every night she would tell me how she "just didn't get Facebook."
Since I work in the software development field and often assisting people with the applications we develop falls to me, I decided to help Aimee out the best way I knew how. I signed up. At first I was lost too. In fact looking at the column that said "You have 1 friend" was really depressing. That first night I went to bed haunted by that statement and decided the first thing the next morning, I would delete my account and let Aimee figure it out. But when I logged on the following morning I had six friend requests...six people wanted to be my friend! I was at once horrified and delighted.
Horrified that I cared that there were people who "wanted to be friends with me" since I should be way past that stage in life. I am after all a successful, fulfilled confident woman.
Delighted that this strange universe had brought some of my long-lost sorority sisters back into view.
The first morning was so much fun that I lost track of time and was late for work. I should have known that wasn't a good sign. But I continued and since then have renewed "friendships" with several old coworkers, a fellow flutist from band, the captain of the twirling team I was on when I was 12, a few of my classmates from leadership class and not to mention a few people I had to look through old yearbooks to determine if I did indeed "know" them.
All in all it has been a lot of fun. Have I helped Aimee figure it out? Not really we just click on a whole bunch of buttons and hope for the best. But maybe some day I figure out
how accepting a snapdragon plant helps me save the rain forest, how flair can make the day so much brighter, how to finally answer all the times I have been tagged in Notes and how this strange cyber community can make me feel connected to my 59 friends and counting...
Stay tuned tomorrow for my other newest addiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I poked you.
LOL! You know you're addicted too. When I have to go into therapy for this, I just hope you won't feel so bad. BTW Your Sweet Shop needs some attention.
I know I just discovered Facebook too! Totally and completely addictive and a huge waste of time isn't it? But I love it! Go to my blog and you can click on a link to become my friend!
Post a Comment