Way back in my college sorority days we Kappa Deltas had something called a Wish Ribbon. Wish Ribbons came into play during the last party of rush called a Preference Party or Pref for short because it was right before rushees made their decision on which house to join. Before the party sisters tied a green or white ribbon on their finger and "wished" for the new sister(s) they were hoping would join the group. Then we were each assigned girls to "pref" during the party. I was an excellent "pref-er," and can still remember the speech I gave the girls I was matched with.
It went something like this...."Tonight before you arrived one of my sisters tied this ribbon on my finger and I made a wish. Now as I tie this ribbon on your finger, I want you to make a wish. I only hope that yours is the same as mine." Then I tied the ribbon, hugged the girl and whispered..."My wish was for you to be my sister."
A little emotionally manipulative? A lie? Never for me, which I guess is why I loved the tradition so much. I actually had forgotten all about it until a couple weeks ago. I don't know what prompted me to remember the tradition so vividly since I haven't even thought of it in almost two decades. But when it did, inspiration struck and I thought of a way to incorporate it in my current life. (No - I am not starting a sorority so don't start looking for your pref invites to arrive in your inbox!)
I decided that there were many friends that I had wishes for, hopes for and prayers for that I never share with them. As a society - I think we are lax in telling people how we feel about them. I was never that type of person, but I have become one. I don't tell people how important they are to me because I think it makes me seem needy. I don't tell my friends that I love them nearly enough because I am afraid they will think I am trying to emotionally manipulate them. I stifle my enthusiasm about being with those I love to be with for fear of rejection. But by doing that I have stifled a big part of me and I am done with that!
Yesterday morning I explained to Jacinda that in 2012 we are going to pick at least 12 people, non-immediate family members who we love dearly, who are important members of our lives and we are going to let them know how much they mean to us this year!
We are now in the process of selecting our people and putting their names in a jar on pretty paper - the jar is on the bathroom vanity right now because that is a place where we spend time every single day.
The plan is to select names out of there, pray for the person, send them love and maybe do a few nice things for them throughout the year.
Our hope, or our wish - if you will, is that throughout the year these 12 individuals/families will feel as loved and as cherished as they are!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Diann,
What a lovely thing to do. If we all took time from our busy lives to just think about or pray for someone else the world would be a much happier place. You just amaze me!
Love ya,
Kim
What a wonderful lesson in caring for Jacinda. So many people are so lucky to have you in their lives. I feel blessed to call you cousin and friend.
Post a Comment