I have been away for a few days for this awesome opportunity to spend some quality time and meet several families who have adopted from Ethiopia. (I will write much more on this adventure later. Trust me, it is worth waiting for.)
On Sunday afternoon, three of the families who traveled together went to have a group picture taken of the kids. I was sitting in the waiting area of the photography studio thinking/dreaming about what it will be like when I have my daughter home, when this little girl walks up to where I was sitting. She had come in with another family to pick up their photos. She looked up at me with these dark brown eyes and reached for me. I picked her up and without making a sound she nestled into my lap and rested her head perfectly under my chin. She sat there quietly for a moment and then this 2 and 1/2 year old, took my face into her hands looked me in the eyes and rubbed her nose back and forth across mine. She then put her little hand in mine and rested her head against my chest. It was about this time that those around us noticed the exchange. Her mother saw us and asked me if I was a mother and I said with a smile. "Not yet." and she replied with a smile "You will be soon. You're ready, if you weren't she never would be sitting with you like that."
I know these words will never capture the feeling from that day. It was almost like it happened in slow motion and everything seemed to be silent and still for a few magical moments.
I know that most people would say this little girl's actions could be explained as a coincidence, but I don't believe in a God of coincidences. For me this was the beautiful, breathtaking moment when motherhood became almost tangible thanks to a special little messenger and I know there will come a day soon when I won't be holding someone else's child, I will be holding my daughter.
Thankfully my God is always right on time, so I will praise him in the waiting and await His perfect timing for my dream come true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That gave me cold chills...WOW!
Post a Comment